Whether you’re house hunting or designing a custom home, choosing between a one-story or two-story home can be a tough decision. There are definite advantages and disadvantages to each type. You can easily find luxury homes in Greensboro with either floor plan. Consider the pros and cons of each to help you decide which is right for you.
- Wheelchair friendly. Whether or not this is a need you have now, it could be a need that arises later for you or someone else in your family. And it makes your home accessible to all guests.
- Easier evacuation in an emergency. In the case of a fire it is much easier to get out of a one-story house quickly and safely.
- Safer in tornadoes and high winds. Being lower to the ground is an advantage in severe winds. Your home may receive less damage and offer better protection for you and your family.
- Less privacy. When your bedroom is on the first floor, be sure to have adequate window coverings. Being on the ground level means you’ll have less privacy.
- Less security. If you like to sleep with the windows open when the weather is nice, you can more safely do so on the second floor while keeping your downstairs windows and doors closed and securely locked.
- Takes up more of your lot. A one-story home has a larger footprint and takes up more space on a lot than a two-story home with the same square footage. If you don’t have ample land and prefer more yard, a two-story house could a lot you more outdoor space to enjoy.
- Get more square feet of home on a small lot. If lot size is an issue and yard space is a priority, a two-story house will allow you more indoor square feet while preserving acreage.
- The look. Two-story homes tend to have a beauty and grandeur that one-story homes can’t compete with. But this is a matter of personal preference.
- Security at night. Bedrooms on the second floor can feel safer while everyone is sleeping.
- Not as safe in an emergency. In the case of a fire, it can be harder to get everyone out quickly. Also, in high winds the upper level is not as secure.
- There are multiple reasons that stairs can be a disadvantage. They can be dangerous, especially for children and older people. They can be difficult to climb for anyone with health issues or injuries. And they can simply be tedious when packing for trips and for moving in and out of the home.
- In two-story homes the floorboards above can be noisy when someone is moving around upstairs. Sounds carry through the floor, such as the TV while others are asleep.
Compare Available One-Story and Two-Story Luxury Homes in Greensboro
Sometimes the best way to decide between one-story and two-story homes is to tour both types and compare them in person. Your real estate agent can show you a variety of luxury homes in Greensboro with either floor type to help you make your decision. Call Smith Marketing today to schedule a consultation: (336) 215-7880.